Friday, March 11, 2011

Grapefruit & Muguet


Vedat Ozan, perfumer in Istanbul, now offers various scent accords click here.

These allow you to play not only with single notes but with accords, at a good price.

The other day, while looking for a spritz of grapefruit and unable to locate the effervescent Ananas Fizz, or Vedat's grapefruit, I found instead, Vedat's Muguet.

Over it I sprayed Pamplelune/Guerlain Aqua Allegoria, a grapefruit fantasy.

This instinct turned out to be true. 

Pamplelune, many agree, is a strange scent. For me, it has always had a scratchiness to it. There was only one fellow, I worked with in a fragrance boutique, where it really shone its colors, straight out of the bottle. On him, it is magic.

Learning long ago not to think it sacrilegious to mix fragrances, no offense to perfumers, but after all, I mix paints, and mix ingredients to create new recipes ...

This underlayering of Ozan's Muguet immediately rounds out the scratch in Pamplelune's sulphurous undertone. This blending brings up and rounds out the sparkle, soothes the sharp. It also gives me more opportunity to wear Pamplelune whereas previously I wore it only when I needed odd, or to try it on someone else's skin.

Perfumers still find Muguet/Lily of the Valley a tricky one to capture, and as with rose, you will find numerous variations-on-a-theme available for your smelling pleasure. 

photo: Grapefruit Lura Astor