Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lilly Ledbetter Act

I tell you what, it is difficult to find out how much less you are making than the others. Especially in light of today's National Outsourcing temping.

When change.gov solicited Americans' thoughts on changes we need to make as a country, I threw this bone in:
Want to really show the world what we, Americans, are made of?
Want to really scare them?

Pass the Equal Rights Amendment.
 

Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
 

Put the negotiated deal, made pre-1920 to allow black men to vote and then, working together, get women's rights via the ERA, taken care of, put to rest, Constitutionally.
 

Show the world, "take this!" We, the United States of America, honor our women standing with our men and our men standing with our women, and ALL that this stands for ... We honor the balance of the feminine with the masculine.

See? It's written in our Constitution of the UNITED States of AMERICA.

Thank you.

I kind of laugh today. I met the last two living suffragists. Alice Paul (watch the movie Iron Jawed Angels to get an idea of what it took to get American women the right to vote; forced feedings are truly ugly) gave me, my mom and sisters quick mentoring in how to effectively lobby our Senators. I was in High School at the time. We drove to DC. My Senator laughed as I recited the amendment. It takes longer for me to make a man's dollar, a man's recreation, a man's retirement, a man's food. So, Best Wishes Lilly Ledbetter Act!